Friday 29 November 2013

“Nothing would be the same if you did not exist”



The other week I was watching the latest series of The Big Bang Theory, the one where Amy made a declaration to Sheldon that in the film Raiders of the Lost Ark Indiana Jones was a superfluous character, without him the outcome would have been entirely the same.

Sheldon's jaw drops at Amy's suggestion
The Big Bang geeks all sat and deliberated this and I must confess as I sat watching with my teenage boys we tried to figure out how true this was.

How can you have a film where the main character doesn’t advance the plot? And if Indiana Jones is redundant in his own story where does that leave us lesser mortals who don’t have such grand adventures? Just how important are we in the grand scheme of things?

The next day I found this on Twitter



“Nothing would be the same if you did not exist”

Now that’s quite a mind blowing thought when you are feeling insignificant in the big wide world.

Far too often as a blogger I sit typing away wondering just who will read my words, is anyone actually interested in my thoughts?

Yet I have made connections with hundreds of people all over the world and I mostly have no idea if or how what I have written has affected them.

But turn that thought around and I do know for certain that I have discovered many blogs that have spoken to me, I’ve often found the perfect words that have resounded and touched my life where I am now. Some have made me laugh out loud and lots have made me cry but then I am emotional at the best of times!

I try to make a point of leaving a positive comment where I can and so the connection is strengthened and my existence has made a difference to someone else.

I enjoy reading even the most prosaic blogs and reaching out, being that voice that says – I’ve read what you have to say and in some small way I understand, you are not alone, thank you for sharing.

So back to the original statement by Amy that Indiana Jones doesn’t alter the outcome of the film.

Well I’ve given it much thought and come up with this…

In the Raiders of the Lost Ark, Indy is reunited with his old flame Marion, albeit for a brief spell in his life because she is long gone by the time he sets off to visit the Temple of Doom in film number two but their relationship is absolutely crucial to the plot of Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, film number four!


So in the end it all comes back to relationships and connections…

“Nothing would be the same if you did not exist”


2 comments:

  1. I completely agree. I had a character in one of my stories make the same statement - we make a difference. Even if it's just to say hello to a stranger in the street. I must admit, I haven't seen Raiders of the Lost Ark for a very long time, so I just took Amy's word for it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful thought to hold on to Sarah! Full of deep truth and encouragement. Each one of us leaves a footprint in the sands of time. Our being here counts. There is a purpose behind it all. I love the ideas here and the gently amused way you have expressed them. We are all made richer for entering into relationship with one another and with God in particular. Thank you! Blessings :) xx

    ReplyDelete