Sunday 4 November 2012

#FlashFictionDistraction no.1

I should be writing for #NaNoWriMo - I have written precisely zero words today - I am such a rebel and it could be yet another really late night...

I have been distracted well and truely by this week's #SatSunTails comp. Well I figured that Jeffrey Hollar needs some competition, he's always the first to enter and his writing is superb - check out his blog The Latinum Vault for his wonderful flash fictions.


The following may be used as a sentence in your story OR provide a basis for it:-
“bludgeoned cochineal”
And here is your picture prompt:

 
Taking a deep breath at the front door, listening to her yelling I remembered our hard fought past battles. Today’s outburst hadn’t been ignited by teenage PMT or an overdose of E numbers at a birthday party. 

In rage she had bludgeoned the old bottle of cochineal food colouring; the glass bottle that had once belonged to my mother. These days you can only buy artificial Barbie pink; more than just beetles were crushed and harmed in adorning every surface with crimson stains.

Fortunately still holding the umbrella I deflected the bag of flour by a quick thinking flick of the switch. I had never been its intended victim; another innocent bystander.

As I lowered my shield she collapsed sobbing in my arms.

Surveying the disaster zone of a kitchen one thing I knew for sure, cleaning this mess would be far easier than piecing together my daughter’s broken heart.

150 words precisely, I am so proud of my extensive edited and perfect word count. 

After the Strictly results show and all the other Sunday evening jobs are done I am going to write more ... oh so much more...

...unless I fall asleep!

If I have an keyboard inprint on my face tomorrow you know why!

1 comment:

  1. That is so beautiful...and so sharply written. Those broken hearts...been there!

    ReplyDelete