Thursday 17 November 2011

Inappropriate Music


Last month while I sat in the doctor’s waiting room they were playing The Carpenters. 
                         
Now I am a fan of Karen Carpenter’s beautifully mellow voice.  We had a neighbour once who played her album very loudly with the windows open and it provided a pleasant accompaniment to an afternoon in the garden.  A bit of “Please Mr Postman”, “Jambalaya” or “Calling Occupants” would have gone down a treat while flicking through the out of date obscure magazines.

However I was treated to “Goodbye to Love” and “I Won’t Last a Day Without You”.  Hardly appropriate listening for a grieving widow stopping off for her monthly supply of anti-depressants!

It’s a good job the tablets are working and I could giggle about the musical selection with my GP when I was called in to see her.

Andrew and I used to do hospital radio together and we used to joke about the tasteless songs we wouldn’t play.

How about “The First Cut is the Deepest”?   Or our favourite inappropriate song, scoring for both title and band name, “I Just Died In Your Arms Tonight” by the Cutting Crew?  Just what you don't need to hear while waiting to go to theatre!

Karen Carpenter was still warbling today as I went for my check-up.  I walked out to the melancholy lyrics of “Solitaire”, another prescription in hand – I think I just might need it! 

 o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o

By the way the background picture isn’t lights or anything to do with Daleks or anything else Dr Who related.  Those were the guesses so far on my facebook page.



Here’s more of the photo – have another guess!

No comments:

Post a Comment