Thursday 13 September 2012

five sentence fiction - awkward

I'm having a bit of a flash fiction frenzy at the moment ... and it is so much fun!

This weeks Five Sentence Fiction prompt is AWKWARD and here's the picture Lillie added.


The picture not only made me smile but it got me thinking about my story for last week's Visual Dare. The story below is the prequel to The Odd Couple.


Casually I look up from my filing to ask Helen her birthday plans, even though I already know the office gossip.

Timid as a mole, she blushes behind her long fringe and thick spectacles.

“Just a meal with a few friends, you can come if you wish, it’s just that Howard is bringing Clare and I …”

The sentence is left to hang in the air like a silky ribbon and I know how it ends.

“Curiosity and all that, I’d love to come,” I purr, all the while shaping my claws into perfect points.

Here's a link to the second part of the story if you haven't already read it  - The Odd Couple.

As for what else happens in the story - we'll see where the prompts lead me...


10 comments:

  1. Hehe, perfect set up for the visual dare!!! I'm so glad you revisited this story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was sooooo much fun to write Cat-Girl's voice again, she will probably be back ... watch this space!

      Delete
  2. Ah! 'sharpening my claws into perfect points' - such a vivid and telling image. Nice :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it! Said with such venom ' “Curiosity and all that, I’d love to come,” I purr, all the while shaping my claws into perfect points'

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ouch, deliciously nasty, loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had to go read the rest. Nice description on those animal characteristics in the other story. Makes this on read differently after reading the other. Love that last line.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done. I'm going to have to check out the rest of the story...
    http://mcguffysreader.blogspot.com/2012/09/the-loan.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the sentence hanging in the air like a silky ribbon! Some great imagery and bitterness!

    ReplyDelete
  8. As others have said, there's some very effective imagery in this story. I love "Cat-Girl's" voice--would definitely not want to get on the wrong side of her!

    ReplyDelete