Tuesday 1 May 2012

42


I really am enjoying writing flash fiction at the moment and my latest challenge was to write about “the meaning of life, the universe and everything” in exactly 42 words.

It is a competition on Alison Wells’ blog to celebrate the launch of her book Housewife with a Half-Life next week.

Now I only know Alison through our Twitter conversations so they have been very brief but I like her quirky style. She lists the TARDIS as her favourite mode of transport, has four kids and writes. 

Here’s my entry for the competition…

Sun languidly stretched out tendrils of love, ribbons of warmth and light, softly skimming Moon’s impassive body.
Teasing tickles, sending shivers, raising ripples.
Far below Earth watched stars being born, kaleidoscopic droplets exploding into space.
First laughter heard echoing throughout the universe.

From my short story I would deduce that life is about love, relationship and the birth of laughter – or at least that was what I was trying to convey. There’s so much more I would like to add; only having 42 words to play with is tough, limiting but still a lot of fun.

In The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams the meaning of life, the universe and everything is 42.



That’s where the idea for the competition came from but if you have never read HHGTTG you would understandably be puzzled.

When Andrew was 42 I bought him of copy of the Douglas Adams book and underlined the relevant passage. 

He didn’t get it, he never read the book and I found it last week when I was tidying up his den. He probably wouldn’t understand my story either and I would have to explain it in 42 sentences!

But we are all different and although that may not be the meaning of life it is certainly what makes life more interesting.

There have already been many interpretations of “the meaning of life” in the competition. The title has definitely fired up the imagination.

Why not take a look and read a few, just click on the link above. There really is a lot of talent in the universe – good luck to Alison in judging them...

No comments:

Post a Comment