Friday 30 December 2011

“These are a few of my favourite things…”


I have just had one of the best Christmases ever!

Maybe I tried harder to make it successful? But after my crumbly November I don’t think I put any more effort into planning than usual.

The weather helped, it was certainly more favourable for travelling than last year – last year we had snow and fog.

What truly made Christmas special was it contained my three most important elements – Family, Friends and Faith, all in perfect measure.

We spent a whole week with my parents, normally unheard of at this time of year.  We had plenty of time to relax and unwind.  I enjoyed eating but not having to cook.  Most mornings my dad brought me a cup of tea and even toast in bed – bliss!  The boys got to spend time with their grandparents and their great grandmother.

My brother and his three year old son joined us for Christmas day.  The excitement of a little one running around is infectious.

I also saw and spoke to extended family, aunts, uncles and cousins.

“Your auntie said you seemed bubbly.” Was a report I got back.  It’s good to let them see I’m doing well.  They are of the generation that don’t read blogs.  Although one cousin I saw said she does and another confessed he hadn’t … so far …

As well as seeing family during our time away I managed to catch up with friends; an old school friend popped by to drop in a Christmas card, I visited another friend and her family, we try to meet up as much as we can.  We have both enjoyed watching our families grow over the years.  Her oldest daughter is now the same age we were when we fist met!  The youngest daughter is particularly affectionate, always giving me a hug and begging me to stay longer and visit them more – or even buy the house down the road from them that’s for sale! 

We made a special journey to see a friend who had recently had a baby.  A glowing new mother, a proud father and their tiny first born child, joy and hope at Christmas, a tangible reminder of our Saviour’s birth and the reason to celebrate.

On Christmas Eve I went with my parents to the midnight service in the church I went to as a child.  Familiar faces greeted me and we rejoiced together at the coming of the new born King.  I thought of friends back home doing the same.  It seemed like all of Christmas was wrapped up perfectly and presented with beautiful bow.

Andrew was not forgotten in everything.  All of us, friends and family alike, remembered him fondly.  Both boys have so many characteristics of their dad that we often made comments about the way they smiled or the things they said.

I shed a few tears on Christmas day – it was Dr Who that set me off - “The Doctor, The Widow and The Wardrobe” hmmmm, lovely story but tinged with sadness. Youngest son snuggled closer on the sofa beside me and I held him just that tiny bit tighter.

Today we get to do Christmas all over again – well in a fashion.  We are going to celebrate Christmas with Andrew’s side of the family.  With Andrew’s work shifts it’s never been odd for us to have two Christmases!  There are more presents under the tree, more laughter and memories to be shared.

So I’d better get a move on then because I have a dining table to clear of clutter if we are going to sit down and eat this evening…

Happy Christmas – all over again!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing. Praying you all have a peaceful & God filled 2012.

    ReplyDelete